Autumn Abundance 2021
Mon 12 Jul to Wed 13 Oct 2021
Usher in the warm reddish hues of fall with our newly-launched Autumn collection, from Mon 12 Jul to Wed 13 Oct 2021! Head down to Takashimaya Department Store to check out our collections or shop via our online store: https://bit.ly/3sJyvhm now.
Or whip up a 3-Course Simple Italian Dinner, featuring Drea Chong’s favorites recipes!
Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil
6 to 7 ripe tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
6 to 8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced or chopped
3/4 teaspoon sea salt, more or less to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more or less to taste
1 baguette, French bread, or similar Italian bread
1/4 cup olive oil
Step By Step:
1. Blanch and peel the tomatoes.
2. Cut the tomatoes into halves or quarters and squeeze out most of the juices and seeds.
3. Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C) with a rack in the top slot of the oven.
4. Chop tomatoes, toss them with garlic, olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt & pepper.
5. Toast the baguette slices.
6. Serve toasted bread with tomato mixture.
Tomato and Garlic Pasta
1 (8 ounce) package angel hair pasta
2 pounds tomatoes
4 cloves crushed garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Step By Step:
1. Place tomatoes in a kettle, and cover with cold water. Bring just to the boil. Pour off water, and cover again with cold water. Peel. Cut into small pieces.
2. Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
3. In a large skillet or saute pan, saute the garlic in enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. The garlic should just become opaque, not brown. Stir in the tomato paste. Reduce heat, and simmer until the pasta is ready; add the basil.
4. Drain the pasta, but do not rinse in cold water. Toss with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, and then mix into the sauce. Reduce the heat as low as possible. Keep warm, uncovered, for about 10 minutes when it is ready to serve. Garnish generously with fresh Parmesan cheese.
5. VARIATIONS: Saute fresh quartered mushrooms with the garlic, or add shoestring zucchini along with the tomato.
No Bake Mango Cheesecake
150 g / 5 oz Arnott’s Marie Biscuits (17 crackers), or digestives, Graham Crackers or other plain sweet biscuit
100 g / 3.5 oz unsalted butter, melted
2 tbsp white sugar
700 g / 1.4 lb mango flesh (2 large mangoes) (Note 1)
4 1/2 tsp gelatin powder (Note 2)
1/2 cup / 125 ml cold tap water
500 g / 1 lb Philadelphia cream cheese, softened (2 blocks)
2/3 cup / 150g caster sugar (superfine white sugar)
300 ml / 10 oz whipping cream*
3/4 tsp gelatin powder (Note 2)
1/4 cup / 65 ml cold tap water
1 tbsp lemon juice
Step By Step:
Use a 22 cm / 9″ springform pan (or similar size). Turn the base UPSIDE DOWN (for ease of removal later).
Place a square sheet of baking paper on the base, then secure in a springform pan with excess paper hanging outsides.
Grease sides with butter and line with paper.
Blitz crackers into fine crumbs in a food processor.
Add butter and sugar, blitz until combined. Pour into prepared cake pan. Press down firmly – base only, not sides.
Put water in a heatproof bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over the surface. Stir to partly dissolve. Set aside 5 minutes – it turns gelatinous.
Microwave 15 seconds on high x 2, stirring in between. Stir until dissolved (few tiny specks ok). Cool 5 minutes.
Place mango in a food processor. Blitz until smooth.
Measure out 3/4 cup and reserve for mango jelly, set aside.
Add cream cheese, cream, sugar, and gelatine mixture into a food processor (2.5L/2.5qt/10 cup+ capacity – Note 3). Blitz for 30 seconds or so until smooth. Pour into cake pan. Refrigerate 3+ hours until top is set.
Pour water into bowl, sprinkle over gelatin. Leave 5+ min. Microwave on high 2 x 10 sec, stir well until granules dissolved.
Place reserved mango puree (from step 4 under Filling) and lemon in a bowl. Pour over gelatin and whisk well.
Pour over cheesecake filling. Tilt cake around to spread. Refrigerate 12 hours+.
Release pan sides, then use overhang paper to slide cheesecake onto the serving plate. Then slide the paper out from under the cheesecake.