The Power of K-Culture: What’s On at Takashimaya’s Seoul in Love Extravaganza
Riding on the surge of appeal for all things Korean in Singapore, Takashimaya is holding a Seoul in Love extravaganza, a fair showcasing the best of Korean culture, or K-culture.
In recent years, the “Hallyu” wave or Korean wave, which describes the global popularity of Korean culture, has intensified. Just last year, K-dramas such as Descendants of the Sun and hit songs by K-pop groups such as Twice and EXO have further ignited the interest in K-culture.
Specially for Hallyu fans, the 12-day Seoul in Love showcase will feature the best of K-Beauty, K-Culture, K-Entertainment, K-Fashion & Accessories, K-Food, K-Lifestyle and more. A delightful array of activities has also been lined up, including Korean music and dance performances, interactive kids’ shows, Korea travel talk, lucky draws and more. As quoted by His Excellency LEE Sang-deok, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea, “With successful opening of first major Korea event at Takashimaya, I wish a variety of events as such can be held more often in Singapore so that both Koreans and Singaporeans can get closer and more familiar”.
Seoul in Love runs from Wed 15 Mar to Sun 26 Mar 2017 at Takashimaya Square, B2, while the Seoul in Love Food event runs from Wed 15 Mar to Tue 28 Mar 2017 at Food Hall, B2.
Seoul in Love event highlights
Fri 17 Mar 2017, 6pm
Be enthralled by the performances during the opening ceremony of Seoul in Love:
- The Zen Dance, a form of dance meditation presented by Dr Sun Ock Lee, combines ancient Korean meditation techniques with modern dance principles to create an aesthetically beautiful and entrancing artistic performance.
- The Fusion Dance & Music, a lively sound and dance display fusing traditional Korean dance with contemporary influences, will have you jiving to the beat in no time. It includes classical dance, Korean B-boy dance, pop-pin dance and Korean martial arts accompanied by the electronic violin, all in one performance.
- The Calligraphy Art Performance combines the arts of painting, dancing and music. Dressed in traditional Korean clothing, the renowned calligrapher dancer will use unique body movements in tune to modern music to create a masterpiece on canvas revolving around the theme of “Seoul in Love”.
His Excellency Lee Sang-deok, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea will grace the opening ceremony.
Makeup & Hairstyling Demo
Fri 17 Mar 2017, 7.30pm
Make-up demo by Korea Global Makeup Artist, Cat Koh
Hairstyle demo by Du Sol Beauty
Fashion Apparel sponsored by H-Connect
Want to look like your favourite K-celebrities like Girls’ Generation, BoA and UEE? Grab this chance to learn the secrets on how to transform to a true K-beauty and get make-up techniques & hairstyling tips from established Korean brands.
Sat 18 Mar, 2pm
Dress up with H-Connect and Nimisski! Watch the runway models strut their stuff at our Seoul in Love fashion show, displaying a unique Korean fashion sense that is oh-so-fashionable and modern.
Samul Nori Performance
Sat 18 Mar 2017, 4pm
The Samul Nori performance has its roots in Korean folk music and farm rituals. The musical quartet features a captivating blend of four traditional Korean musical instruments delivering intricate rhythms and dynamics in a unique performance.
Becoming a K-Pop Star Talk by Josephine & Maressa [Credits to x(clusive)]
Sat 18 Mar, 5pm
Something for the K-Pop fans out there! Have some fun and learn insider tips from Josephine & Maressa, who will talk about their experience surviving a Korean TV programme and training in the Korean entertainment industry. True gurus in the local K-Pop scene. Maressa was a Singapore representative on K-Pop Star Hunt Season 1, while Josephine was a Singapore representative on the TV programme, ‘Miss Korea’.
K-Pop Cover Dance by Cinqswans
Sat 18 Mar 2017, 6pm
A spectacular performance not to be missed! We have invited special guests who will perform amazing K-Pop dance covers to well-loved Korean hit songs with brilliantly-choreographed moves that will awe the audience.
Sat 19 Mar 2017, 3pm
The Bukit Batok Chinese Orchestra, accompanied by Korean opera singers Yeon Jinhui and Baek Jong Woo, will light up the stage with a spirited performance of popular Korean folk song Arirang. Considered an unofficial national anthem, Arirang has been added to UNESCO’s intangible cultural heritage list.
Travelling in Korea for Dummies by x(clusive)
Sun 19 Mar, 4pm
Travelling to Korea soon? Learn some basic Korean phrases to survive Korea, blend into the Korean culture by learning some Korean slang used colloquially by the Koreans, and more at this talk hosted by x(clusive).
Play & Learn with Pororo Show *Exclusive to Takashimaya*
Fri 24 Mar to Sun 26 Mar 2017 (several sessions available)
Brought to you by Pororo Park Singapore, Pororo Play & Learn will teach children the Korean alphabet, how to count in Korean, as well as share fun facts about Korean Culture all to the tune of favourite Pororo songs and dance. Families will love this interactive session with Pororo, the beloved penguin character from Korea. Suitable for all ages.
DIY Korea Travel Talk *Exclusive to Takashimaya*
Fri 24 Mar & Sat 25 Mar 2017 (different time slots each day)
With over 19 years of traveling experience, Korean Travel Columnist Simon Lee will host an exclusive travel talk, specially aimed at couples. He will provide cost-saving tips on how to plan your free and easy trip to Korea and give suggestions on unique activities and off-the-beaten track locations that will guarantee you a trip of a lifetime!
Taekwondo x K-Pop Performance
Fri 24 Mar 2017, 7:30pm
This one-of-a-kind performance by Ildo Taekwondo features Korean self-defense martial arts moves to the rhythm of a K-pop dance. Taekwondo moves and stunts are carefully choreographed to compliment the modern beats of K-pop sounds.
K-Pop Cover Dance Performances
STARREseconds: Sat 25 Mar 2017, 4pm
G.Moolah: Sun 26 Mar 2017, 4pm
Singapore’s K-pop dance group STARREseconds and G.Moolah will heat up the stage with their youthful energy and power-packed moves. Watch both teams push boundaries with their show-stopping moves.
String Quartet by Arpeggione Quartet *Exclusive to Takashimaya*
Sat 25 Mar 2017, 5pm
The Arpeggione Quartet, a Singapore string quartet, presents the Motion of Melodies featuring Original Soundtracks (OST) from beloved K-dramas. Listen to evergreen classics from popular K-dramas such as Winter Sonata and My Love from the Stars, as well as songs from recent chart-topping dramas such as Descendants of the Sun.
Sulwhasoo Beauty Talk
Sun 26 Mar 2017, 2pm
Bask in the season of Spring and bring out skin’s youthful radiance with Sulwhasoo Snowise Brightening Line. Also, learn tips on natural and harmonious K-beauty look from Sulwhasoo Global Makeup Artist, Jamie Yoon.
Acapella by The Apex Project *Exclusive to Takashimaya*
Sun 26 Mar 2017, 3pm
Catch The Apex Project, an up and coming Singapore acappella group that’s making waves in Singapore’s music scene. The group will perform a unique pop and jazz repertoire with a Korean twist!
Seoul in Love: Introduction to K-food
Seoul in Love
Food Hall, B2
Wed 15 Mar to Tue 28 Mar 2017
Immerse yourself in a great range of Korean food delights at Seoul In Love, Food Hall Promo Pillar, B2. This one-stop fair features a smorgasbord of Korean flavours, dishes and snacks, from authentic Korean fried chicken to traditional Korean ginseng. Boyle’s Coffee, Chicken Up, Wing Joo Loong and Sofei are some of the K-food brands that will be at the fair. Plus, delight your palate with Chicken Up’s Fried Baby Crab and Chicken & Army Stew, an exclusive menu created for our Seoul in Love event by Chicken Up! View our Food event poster below for more information.
(Click the image to zoom in)
Seoul in Love: K-fashion, K-beauty and more
Here are more good reasons to visit Seoul in Love:
- Get your favourite K-fashion and accessories picks at Seoul In Love. Participating brands include: Nimisski, H-Connect, 5:5, Arium Collection, Amado and more.
- Suss out the latest K-beauty make-up and skincare products from Sulwhasoo and LANEIGE. Attend one of Sulwhasoo and Laneige’s beauty workshops to pick up makeup tips.
- Explore the latest Korean style wedding packages and hair-styling services from Malena Bridal Haute Couture.
- Plus, check out the latest gadgets from electronics leader – Samsung.
Seoul in Love Lucky Draw
(Click the image to zoom in)
Participate in the Seoul in Love Lucky Draw and seize your chance to win a holiday to Seoul! The grand prize winner will receive a pair of Economy class tickets to Seoul. Other prizes up for grabs include hampers from Sulwhasoo and LANEIGE, as well as products from Samsung. To enter the lucky draw, spend at least $120 (up to maximum of 3 combined receipts) at Takashimaya Square, B2 and at Food Hall, B2 to receive an entry form. Terms and conditions apply.
DBS Takashimaya Cardholders Exclusive
(Click the image to zoom in)
Be the one to charge the highest amount to your DBS Takashimaya Cards at Seoul in Love, B2, to receive a pair of complimentary return air tickets to Korea! Terms & conditions apply.
Seoul in Love Giveaways & Activities
Plus, stand to win even more prizes at Seoul in Love, Takashimaya Square, B2, by participating in the following:
- QR Wall: Stand to win prizes from participating Seoul in Love brands by visiting our QR Wall and scanning the QR codes!
- Customize your Korean Name:
Attempt to write your Korean name and be one of 12 winners to win a limited edition memorabilia and an entry pass to attend a 90 min Korean Language Workshop hosted by Kampus! Join us now…
Mechanics as below:
- Follow Takashimaya Seoul In Love Event Page and x(clusive) on Facebook.
- Upload the photo with the hashtag #takaseoulinlove and tag Takashimaya Department Store and x(clusive) on Facebook.
Do remember to set your post privacy setting to “public” for entry to be valid. Winners will be announced on x(clusive) Facebook page on Mon 27 Mar, 2pm.
We have also prepared interactive corners with photo opportunities at Seoul in Love, so drop by for an exciting time at Takashimaya! What you can expect:
- K-Drama Experience Zone: Relive your K-Drama dreams as you take photos with our life-sized standees of popular Korean dramas ‘Goblin’ and ‘Strong Woman Do Bong Soon’ at this experiential area!
- Visit Pyeong Chang, Korea: Learn more about Korea as a wonderful travel destination and Pyeong Chang, the hosting city of coming Winter Olympic Games. You may have a moment to have selfies in front of the standing mock-up of actor Lee Min-ho, the Ambassador of the Visit Korea during 2016 and 2018 in the photo zone presented by the Embassy of the Republic of Korea.